Kids in the Kitchen


This is a conversation overheard at McDonald's one snowy day when all the parents in town brought their kids to play in the indoor play area:

Dad 1: "My kids like making carrot cake the best."
Dad 2: "I don't have a recipe for that."
Dad 1: "Just use a box mix, the important thing is spending time with your kids. But you have to get the special cake pans in the shape of disney characters."

This conversation made me smile and it is so true.I believe in cooking with your kids. As soon as my little man could stand on his own he was in the kitchen 'helping' me. There are so many lessons to be learned in the kitchen: counting, measuring, reading and following instructions just to name a few. The father at McDonald's was right, you don't have to be a great cook making a cake or muffins (my favorite) out of a box is just as much fun for them. Here are some tips that I find make it go more smoothly.

Tips:
  1. It's going to be messy! Be prepared to sweep up when you're done. If your little one is standing on a chair cover it with a towel.
  2. Give them their own bowl and spoon they can play with. I've found that my little man will help me cook or bake but there comes a time where he wants to be in charge, this is when little hands start to touch things they aren't supposed to and pancake batter ends up on the floor (just saying) so I give him his own set of baking tools and encourage him to make his own when I don't need his help.
  3. Have specific tasks they can do. They can be in charge of stirring or pouring the ingredients into the bowl.
Have fun!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kids in the Kitchen

DIY Minecraft Nerf Gun Target

Pom-pom Yoga Games