Learning to Sew: Tooth Fairy Pillow


My little man lost his first tooth! We were talking about the toothfairy and I remembered the tooth pillow I had when I was little, it was a purple heart with a white and purple pocket to place the tooth in. I made my tooth pillow with my mom using my little sewing machine. Sewing is something my mother is good at that I remember learning from her. I am not an avid seamstress (and I don't have a sewing machine) but I do like sewing by hand. So I thought it would be a good time to teach my little man some sewing basics. 
What you need:
You might have what you need on hand if not you can find it all at the Dollarstore. 

Needle and thread 
(the thread doesn't have to be an exact match to the color of the material, having a darker thread will help your little ones to better see their stitches.)

3 pieces of felt 
(2 pieces of the same color for the larger shape and another color for the tooth pocket and accents)

Batting 
(you don't have to use real batting, use whatever you have on hand. I used fake snow that was left over from a Christmas craft)
Step 1:
Start off by choosing a basic shape and a smaller shape for the tooth pocket. Little man chose a moon with stars on it. Draw your shapes on a blank piece of paper cut out the shapes to use as patterns. Lay two pieces of felt together or fold a larger piece in half, pin the pattern of the large shape onto the felt. Trace the shape and cut it out. Repeat the step with the smaller shape.
Step 2:
Time to start sewing. Remove the back piece of felt. Sew on the smaller shapes and the pocket. Since this was my little man's first attempt at sewing I sewed the star pocket and little star accents. 
Step 3:
Replace the back piece of felt making sure all the edges line up. Instead of pinning the two pieces of felt together I held the felt together, this way I was sure little man wouldn't prick himself while learning how to make stitches. Sew 
3/4 of the shape.
Step 4:
Once you have sewn 3/4 of the shape (we did the outside on the moon shape) it is time to stuff the pillow. Stuff the pillow but allow enough room to close the shape. Stitch up the remaining side.
You're all done! Put a tooth in the pocket and place under your little one's pillow for the tooth fairy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kids in the Kitchen

DIY Minecraft Nerf Gun Target

Pom-pom Yoga Games