Salt Dough Creations

I am a big fan of salt dough and all the fun things  you can make with it. In the past we have make christmas ornaments as presents from the kids to their grandparents and,maybe my favorite, we made dinosaur fossils during a Dino themed day. 
This year we found a salt dough craft book at the library and we decided to see what inspiration we could get from it. Little Miss decided to go along with ideas from the book. The book was garden friends creatures. Little Miss made a porcupine, a lady bug and a snake. 
The porcupine uses dry spaghetti for the quills and the lady bug uses dry macaroni for the legs. 
The one thing about these cute creature is that it took quite a while for them to dry out. Once they were completely dried out it was time to paint. 
I decided to make beads from my portion of the dough. I had a string of decorative wood beads that broke and I wanted to add some decor for the Halloween season. 
To make the beads I cut peices of dough that were about the same size as the wood beads. I used a toothpick to make the holes on the beads. I made the hole larger than I wanted them, knowing  that they would expand in the oven. Some of the holes closed over, next time I would use a rolled up peice of aluminum foil to keep the holes from closing over. I painted them black with white ghosts and white with black cobwebs. I ended up having to glue some of the beads together but I was happy with the end result. 
Happy crafting and Happy Halloween!











 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kids in the Kitchen

Pom-pom Yoga Games

Time Out